Thursday, July 03, 2014

One Year

Well, one year (and 11 quilts) later, here we are. This winter was one of the hardest periods of my life. There was snow on the ground for five months, it was about the coldest, snowiest, longest winter that Chicago has ever seen. What a welcome! But since I don't have many nice things to say about winter, I'm not going to say much at all about it.

As much as I love my job and am so excited about the work that we are doing, I'm not going to talk much about that either. It is extremely rewarding, and I have learned more than I thought possible in one year. If you want to know more, check out our (new!) website at paulcarlson.org

I started this blog to write about quilting, cooking, and life adventures. Little did I know I'd be moving across the country and starting a full-time job. It's been a shock to the system, but I'm determined to get some of my old life rhythms back. Staying in touch with friends and family, trying new recipes, and blogging! Quilting is the one thing that I have kept up, so that's what I have to write about now.

Late June was a huge milestone for me. Not only did I attend my first big quilt show, but I had a quilt there on display!





This quilt, "Where the Heart Is," was made for my guild's Modern in the City challenge. It features the four cities I have lived in/just outside of: Seattle, Portland, Los Angeles, and Chicago. I loved playing with the colors to find a pallet that felt suited to each city. I also enjoyed the little bits of free-motion quilting.



Chicago close up.

Belonging to the Chicago Modern Quilt Guild has been one of the highlights of my year! It is indescribable joy, belonging to this lovely, supporting community. We learn together, laugh a lot, make charity projects, and just generally have an awesome time. They even got me to join Instagram!

Now, I'm going to spend my 4-day weekend gardening, sewing, and just generally relaxing.

No comments:

Post a Comment