Monday, May 13, 2013

Hummingbirds Day 7



I've spent my blog-improvement time this last week figuring out how to get pictures from my phone to my computer at a decent quality. Unfortunately, Picasa Tool on my phone was downsizing everything. The path from phone to blog still seems a bit convoluted right now, but at least I've figured out how to get you a better picture of the babies! Here they are today, on day 7. I am absolutely sure they are bigger now than they were when I left for work this morning. Their mama was even spotted sitting next to them - instead of on top of them - today. Though, I don't know that's because of that growing little beak you can see in this photo, or if it's because it was about 100 degrees again today (maybe she just needs some space!). 

The wee ones have definitely filled the nest now. They are about three times bigger than they were a week ago, I'd guess. The one in the top of the photo had her head laying on top of the other one's head this morning. Now they've figured out how to wiggle apart a little bit. I have to admit, I'm pretty excited to see how well the nest holds up as they grow. Hummingbirds are apparently quite the little engineers. I read that they repair the nest around the babies as they grow up, and that the nest stretches to accomodate them. The mama uses spider silk to bind the nest together, so I imagine it is a bit stretchy. 

I've been taking pictures of them every day or two! I'll post more often now that there are some discernable features in there. 


No comments:

Post a Comment