Tuesday, May 07, 2013

The blessing of anxiety...

I woke up this morning in a foul mood. Actually, I should say, I woke up for the 8th time this morning in a foul mood. My neighbors were, I don't know, building furniture? until the wee hours of this morning and our alarm goes off around 5:30. We didn't know which neighbor was hammering away, so we couldn't ask them to stop. Anyway, I stumbled and grumbled around all morning, tired, anxious, tense, upset, just plain grumpy.

Because of this attitude, I knew I had to make prayer/quiet time a priority before I head off to work this afternoon. I'm temporarily helping in another office on campus and would like to get asked back to work tomorrow. Sitting down and finding my place in "The Story" I first thought, "oh great, I'm in Isaiah... that's sure to cheer me up." But as I started to read, I did calm down. I got lost in the story and actually forgot I was so grumpy. I jotted down some thoughts in my journal and then started to pray.

An amazing thing happened next.

All the reasons I legitimately have to be tired, anxious, sad, tense... these came to mind. All at once, I thought of the many friends who have recently experienced deep and tragic loss - deaths of children, pastors, soldiers. I thought of the horrors likely faced by the three remarkable young women in Ohio who were recently rescued from ten years of captivity. I thought of Boston bombs, Waco explosions, Bangladesh factories, and even the fires here in LA county. On and on these images of our broken and hurting world filled my mind. And then, I felt the offer of peace. Peace was suddenly something I could reach out and grasp, something to be poured over my head like water.

Peace doesn't diminish the pain and the loss, but peace does motivate and equip me to set aside my foul mood, stand up, and walk alongside those who I can help. Peace reminds me to advocate for those who are oppressed, calm down about my own small struggles, and look to the ultimate source of strength and endurance.

Anxiety became a blessing for me today because it motivated me to reach out for peace, and the results were astounding.

And now, because it makes me happy and symbolizes some hope growing right on my doorstep, a picture of "my" hummingbird eggs that are soon to hatch!



No comments:

Post a Comment